Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Our News...


So what's the big news? Why did we spend 5 days decluttering? And what was up with the photographer and a video drone flying around here last month?

Well, the story goes like this.

We adore our house. It's unique and cool. I mean, it even has barn doors leading to our bathroom. We love it!

BUT.

We realize we're getting tired of having stairs. The master bedroom is on the main level, but the guest rooms and my studio are all upstairs. I want my studio on the main level. I want EVERYTHING on the main level. It's hard for our parents to visit because none of them do stairs well anymore. And hubby and I aren't getting any younger - we really want to live without stairs!

And so.

There was a house a block away for sale that was perfect. Absolutely perfect. The builder wouldn't accept a contingency contract though. So we rushed and got our house on the market a month ago. We had LOTS of showings, during which time I piled the dogs in the car and found a place to park and read or sew.

Then Friday, everything happened at once. We got an offer. While we were negotiating with the potential buyers, we found out that the house we wanted to buy went under contract an hour before. UGH!!!! What to do? I'd always said that if that house sold before ours did, we'd pull our house off the market. Especially with a wedding coming up!

We had a sleepless night while we tried to decide what to do. On Saturday, morning we sat down and talked. Should we refuse the latest offer (full price) and stay put for now? Where would we go if we sold it? I wrote a personal note to the buyers which our agent passed along to them, explaining our dilemma. (Remember, we had a bridal shower at our house later this same day!)

Well, the buyers raised their offer yet again. They really want the house! And it was an offer we could not refuse. And so we're moving. We think we're going to build a home. Of course that will take months. We're meeting with a builder later this week. We have to be out of our house by the end of February. Six weeks. We can do this. We're a bit crazy, but we can do this.

So in the next six weeks, I have a magazine issue to get done. Taxes to do. And more taxes to do. And packing up our house. We will get it done!!!

Enough house talk! Tomorrow we'll talk hexies!

8 comments:


  1. Best wishes and prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot on your plate there. I'm rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Although life will be hectic for a while it will be worth it in the long run. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever it costs couts to make your dreams to come true will be worth it. Make your plan and chip away a little at a time. Best of luck to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever it costs couts to make your dreams to come true will be worth it. Make your plan and chip away a little at a time. Best of luck to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anche io spero di cambiare casa presto e sono tanto felice per voi, se è quello che volete e che vi fa stare meglio. In bocca al lupo per tutto e un saluto dall'Italia. (non vedo l'ora di vedere la nuova casa)
    Silvana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck on building the house of your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Julia, eeeesssshhhh, what a lot you have to do. I hope your stress levels do not get to high. Lots of soothing pats of thr dogs and slow basting of hexies!

    ReplyDelete