Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Making Progress!

My meeting with my accountant went very well. Turns out I'm doing most things correctly. She's preparing some forms to file with the IRS. And she gave me a few assignments which I'll try to accomplish today. Ready to get down to the nitty gritty!

I spent the evening last night working on the first issue - putting in photos and text. This is my favorite part of the process! I love being creative with how the pages are laid out. Fun stuff!

Here's a cool photo I took yesterday while Mickey and Cooper were playing at my feet. Don't feel sorry for Cooper because his ear is in Mickey's mouth - I assure you that Mickey doesn't bite hard - this is the way they play.

Today's list includes doing my homework assigned by my accountant, waiting at home for THREE boxes of my quilts to be delivered from AQS (I have to be here to sign for them), make hexies for November BOM, make hexies for the special progressive quilt for Hexie Love, vacuum the house (lowest priority).

I still don't have a working kitchen sink…maybe today I'll hear options from the plumber. I guess I need to add that issue to my list!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

New Book is OUT!

Today my new book - MORE Quick and Easy Hexie Quilts - is out! Yippee! Over the next several days I'll be sharing projects that are within those pages - lots of FUN quilts!!!

Want one? You can get one over on the right sidebar! See the button to click?

Today starts out bright and early with a plumber who will (hopefully) fix the geyser at my kitchen sink. Then on to my accountant meeting for Hexie Love. And then off to daughter's house to supervise the installers of shower doors.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Photo Shoot! …and Pumpkin Bread

Yesterday I FINISHED the appliqué on the first part of the progressive quilt for Hexie Love! After a quick press it was time for a magazine photo shoot! So exciting! You will love this pattern!!!

After all that excitement, I put a double batch of Pumpkin Spice Bread in the oven. Thought you might like the recipe. Click on the recipe to see it bigger.

This is actually my tried and true Whole Wheat Banana Bread recipe (that I make constantly!) I substitute 1 cup of canned pumpkin for the banana and add 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice - voila! Yummy pumpkin bread!

Today's list includes laying out some magazine pages and preparing for my accountant appointment tomorrow.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Let's Hexie!

Last night was our guild meeting. Guess who the speaker was? That's right - me! I decided to give my slideshow lecture, "Let's Hexie!" It went very well!

Here are a few of the beautiful quilts that were shared.

So many talented folks in this guild!

So did I hire an accountant? Yes! I have my first meeting with her on Tuesday - hope she can set me straight on some on my many questions about starting a new business. I must say, the business side of starting a new magazine is the most boring and unlikeable part. Taxes, licenses, paperwork - ugh! But it is part of the process and I'll muddle through it!

Today's list includes more appliqué on my special hexie quilt - yes, this is the progressive quilt that will be patterned in the magazine over the course of 2015. I also plan to work on some magazine pages and run a few errands. Oh, and I need to cram heart worm pills down a couple of dachshund throats - the only way they will take them.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

And So I Sew

I worked most of the day on hexie appliqué. Love the words that jumped out at me! Yes, that's what I'm doing, making art! Making progress on this wonderful journey of a quilt.

I'm also looking to hire an accountant for Hexie Love. Hopefully I'll do that by the end of the week. The first issue is going to be SO AWESOME! So excited!

Hubby and I took a nice afternoon walk. We are very fortunate to have TONS of places for walking around here. This is one of my favorites. The leaves are still mostly green here, though Fall color is not far away.

Monday, October 13, 2014

A Quilt Purchase

It's not often I buy a quilt - but on my trip to Chattanooga in September, I did just that. I was mesmerized by the exhibit of quilts from the Philippines. They were all colorful, unique, and amazing! The story behind them was equally colorful.

A Japanese man and his wife moved to a Philippines island. The wife taught the locals to quilt to supplement the islanders' income. Now the quilts the islanders make bring in 1/3 of all the income there. What a wonderful gift!

These quilts depict the life on the island. I knew I wanted to buy one with fish, so this one came home with me.

Today I made the last of the reservations for the International Quilt Festival in Houston. All booked! Hotel, shuttles, festival tickets, airline tickets…done!

I also started the appliqué of many hexies onto a background - this piece is too big for my lap so I'm working on it at the dining room table. I got a good start today. Happy work!

Sunday, October 12, 2014

From One Thing to Another

I did some tie sorting today - someone in our guild is getting rid of a huge bin of these. One person has already gone through them - now it's my turn.  Then I'll pass it on to the next person. I did find some nice ones to use for a future project.

And look! I even found one with hexagons on it - yes, I snatched it!

Late this afternoon, hubby and I went for a hike. We went to an ecological nature preserve here in town. We'd never been before, but we'll definitely go back again.

Beautiful scenery… Then we came home and grilled out.

Here's a tiny sneaky peaky of something special. I've been a busy bee! Now I'm exhausted, so it's off to bed to read for a bit. Tomorrow will be another day full of hexie fun!