Monday, June 29, 2020
Pfeffernusse Done! (Almost...)
I can't believe I finished this top before the end of June!!! My border and backing fabrics arrived from Whittle only 2 days after I ordered them. I did a happy dance and got to work. I'm kind of in love with this quilt, which is strange because these are totally not colors to which I'm drawn.
Morale: I need to step out of my comfort zone more often!
Here's a close up of the border fabrics - a sweet pinstripe and a reproduction. They both worked out wonderfully. The backing fabric will be a Grunge dot.
And why did a say 'almost' in the title of this post? Well....I still have to remove the paper from the string blocks on the backside. After reading the instructions (after I finished the quilt top!) I learned I should have removed the paper when these string blocks were still individual blocks. EEK!
They say engineers never read instructions and I guess I'm guilty of that! Now I have to deal with removing paper from those tiny seam allowances too. I made a good start on this yesterday. I've almost done 3 rows (out of 12). So this part will take a few days of watching TV with the quilt top and tweezers in hand. Oh well. Lesson learned.
Thursday evening I dropped my cell phone in the toilet - another EEK! moment. I've never done that before. It was not working correctly, wouldn't take a charge, and I couldn't hear when someone called. It occurred to me that I may have had insurance on it. Indeed I did! I filled out an online form Thursday night and by lunchtime on Friday (!!!!) FedEx brought me a brand new phone! My software engineer daughter came over after work and set it up for me. Back in business! I only had to pay a $99 deductible. Yay! Crisis averted.
Okay. Now I'm ready to select a quilt to tackle in July. I've selected my Marshall quilt. You may remember that this Jen Kingwell pattern was in Quiltmania magazine over the course of 2019. Lots of hand piecing and appliqué. Making all these parts and pieces was my therapy as I recovered from my breast cancer surgeries. I could hand sew easier than I could sit at my machine and sew during many of these months.
I have to admit, once the final quilt was revealed in the Fall of 2019, I didn't love it. So I designed my own version using all the parts and pieces. I really love my design, but once I had it put together it was wavy. So I'm going to have to rip a lot out and see what I can do to make it flat. It's been put away for months, but I really want to get it finished. So that's what is next.
I've also started making masks for out family again. Kids are going back to work before long and Hubby and I need more also. I think we'll be wearing masks for the long haul. I want us all to have a mask for each day - it can go in the dirty clothes hamper and then have a fresh one for the next day.
Have a great day and stay safe!